Chicago Tonight Internship
Chicago Tonight is a multi-faceted news and current affairs program broadcast in prime time (7:00-8:00 p.m.) Monday-Friday. The program includes news analysis, interviews and other current features, film and theater reviews and commentary. It combines in-studio interviews and features with pre-produced field packages and remote live shots.
*Please note: The Chicago Tonight Internship has been filled for the 2013 Summer Session. Please check back and apply for the Fall 2013 Session (Deadline: July 15th).
Local TV Production
- A student must be a sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student in good standing at an accredited college or university. Recent graduates are also eligible within the first 12 months of graduation.
- Interns should have excellent research, writing and communication skills, be proficient on a computer, resourceful, mature and professional.
- Knowledge of TV production is helpful but not required.
- Interns should be available two days a week from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- This is an unpaid internship.
- We will work with schools for student interns receiving credit, but receiving credit is not required.
Chicago Tonight is unlike any other news program in the local market and a unique daily format among PBS stations nationwide. This internship is a wonderful opportunity for a student interested in the significant issues of the day as well as topics that create buzz around town. Interns assist in producing a program, doing research, greeting guests, observing journalists' news gathering in and outside the station and learning techniques of news and feature editing, writing and reporting.
Deadlines are as follows:
Fall Semester Internship (which generally begins in Sept. and continues through Dec.): July 15
Spring Semester Internship (which generally begins in Jan. and continues through May): November 1
Summer Internship: (which generally begins in June and continues through Aug.): April 1
Interested students should email their resume and cover letter expressing their qualifications and interest in the internship to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference "Chicago Tonight Internship" in subject line of all correspondence to ensure proper routing.
In your cover letter please explain why you would like an internship at WTTW11, what you expect to learn, and how your career goals might relate to the internship offered at WTTW11. Make sure to include any completed broadcast-related courses you have taken, as well as any media experience including campus radio, TV, newspaper or multimedia.
Candidates may also fax their resume to (773) 509-5309 or mail to:
Attn: Leigh Schulze, HR Assistant
5400 North St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60625
Candidates who are believed to be a good match will then be invited to complete an application and come in for an interview.