Exploring Music with Bill McGlaughlin and Studs Terkel Streaming Websites Internship
The Exploring Music with Bill McGlaughlin and Studs Terkel Streaming Websites Intern will assist in developing copy, selecting images, testing and marketing new website for the Studs Terkel radio archive streaming website as well as assisting with the on-going Exploring Music website.
WFMT Radio Network
- The internship is designed to provide a well-rounded overview of how radio/streaming archival websites are created and organized and provide ample room for creative thinking and innovation.
- Studs Terkelís radio program ran on WFMT for more than 40 years and featured interviews with many of the most important writers, musicians, artists, philosophers, politicians and other figures in the 20th century. Before this project, less than 5% of his radio work has been available to the general public. This project will be done in conjunction with the Chicago History Museum and Library of Congress.
- Exploring Music with Bill McGlaughlin has been among the most popular national radio programs about classical music and is broadcast on more than 250 stations.
- Length of internship and hours per week are negotiable though we prefer interns who can be available for the majority of a 9am-5pm business day on a combination of weekdays (M/W/F or T/Th).
- Interns should stay for the length of a semester or summer.
- This is an unpaid internship. WFMT will work with schools for student interns receiving credit, but receiving credit is not required.
- Eligible candidates must be an undergraduate student, graduate student, or have graduated from an accredited college or university within 12 months of beginning this internship.
- Interns are assigned an internship coordinator who will work with the selected candidate to establish learning objectives to develop skills in chosen area.
Students or recent graduates of any major are encouraged to apply. The ideal candidates will have strong writing skill, interest in the arts and humanities and some knowledge of social media practices. The ability to work independently and reliably on intern projects is a must. Excellent organization and communications skills are also a must.
- Help curate archival recordings of Studs Terkelís radio program by listening to programs, writing descriptions, doing additional research, developing search words for programs and writing copy related to programs for social media.
- Help promote both the Terkel and Exploring Music website to educational institutions.
- Work with WFMT and Chicago History Museum staff to learn to help manage the sites.
- Learn to take audio clips from both programs and do some editing in order to make clips available for social media and educational purposes.
Interested students should email their resume and cover letter expressing their qualifications and interest in the internship to: email@example.com. Please reference "Exploring Music Internship" in the subject line of all correspondence to ensure proper routing.
Candidates may also fax their resume to (773) 509-5309 or mail to:
Window to the World Communications, Inc.
Attn: Tony Macaluso
5400 North St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60625
Questions may also be sent to Tony Macaluso at firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates who are believed to be a good match will then be invited to complete an application and come in for an interview.