6401 S. Stony Island Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone: (773) 256-0903
Best known as the site of the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition and home to Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry, Jackson Park is the third largest of all of Chicago’s parks.
In 1869, Chicago’s newly established South Park Commission began the process of creating a park along 1055 acres of land just south of Chicago. Originally called South Park, the property was composed of two separate eastern and western divisions, which later became Jackson and Washington Parks. The commissioners hired Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, the landscape architects who co-designed Central Park in New York City, to create the original plan for South Park. In 1881, the eastern division of South Park was renamed Jackson Park to honor U.S. President Andrew Jackson.
Chicago was selected as the host of the World's Columbian Exposition in 1890 and Jackson Park was chosen as its site. Olmsted began working with architect and planner Daniel H. Burnham to create a plan for the fairgrounds. The fair came to be called the White City, referencing the whitewashed architecture.
Today, Jackson Park’s facilities include a an 18-hole golf course and driving range, beaches, the Jackson Park Harbor, the Osaka Japanese Garden, and numerous playing fields. The Jackson Park Advisory Council works with the Chicago Park District to manage and maintain the park and to ensure the park programs are serving the needs of the community. The Chicago Park District offers a variety of group programs for children, teens, adults and seniors at little or no cost.